Yale Cancer Center delivers the highest quality patient-centered care, achieves breakthrough discoveries, and trains the future leaders in cancer science and medicine.
Research Excellence at Yale Cancer Center
• Nearly 300 cancer researchers on faculty
• 380,000 square feet of research space
• #10 in National Institutes of Health funding (YSM)
• #19 in National Cancer Institute funding
• $132.9 million in cancer research funding
• $38.5 million in funding from the National Cancer Institute
• 99 National Cancer Institute funded projects
• 14 members of the National Academy of Sciences
• 12 members of the Institute of Medicine
• 10 Howard Hughes Medical Investigators
• 3653 cancer research publications; 695 in high impact journals (July 2012-June 2017)
Patient Care at Smilow Cancer Hospital
• Connecticut’s largest provider of cancer care – treating over 25% of the 20,000 patients diagnosed with cancer annually in the state
• 13 multidisciplinary cancer programs
• 168 inpatient beds, 12 operating rooms, 100 infusion chairs
• ~ 400 oncology nurses on staff
• 591,000 square feet of clinical space
• Nearly 300 open clinical trials providing the most advanced cancer therapies, including a state-of-the-art Phase I Clinical Trials Infusion Unit for patients on phase I trials.
• Specialty services – survivorship care, social work, prevention education, tobacco treatment, integrative medicine, pain management, Onco-dermatology service, Cardio-oncology service, support groups, cancer boutique, exercise & nutrition support, and such complementary services as therapeutic massage, relaxation imagery, Reiki touch, yoga, pet visitation, and art expression.
• Cancer Care Centers throughout Connecticut in Derby, Fairfield, Guilford, North Haven, Old Saybrook, Orange, Torrington, Trumbull, Waterbury, and Waterford, and locations at Greenwich Hospital and Saint Francis Hospital in Hartford